Ambassador Program: Re-Boot

We are rebooting the Ambassador program ahead of v1 based on learnings from the first iteration (Statusphere) and knowledge shared by @Hutch.

A few of us got together in Istanbul and discussed where the previous program fell short and what it will take to create and active community.

With the support of the core group in the #statusphere channel, we plan to relaunch the program ahead of the v1 launch and help this group of people with info, resources, and support to drive greater awareness of the release and future initiatives.

A detailed breakdown of work in progress can be found in this doc

At a high level, the re-launch will consist of:

1. Landing page - home for the program and destination for inbound campaign comms. Designs below.
  2. Application Process - via google docs, then follow up phone calls as a personal welcome to the program
  3. Task management - public wekan boards managed by someone from our team. Ambassadors will be required to define an actionable task and add it to the board. Will include suggested tasks, projects, ways to get involved for newcomers
  4. Reward & Recognition - swag, SNT, NFT’s and other tangible things to reward active ambassadors. Social recognition on our channels (potentially a future leaderboard)

Design - here is an initial landing page design made by our awesome community member and designer Melvin. The intent is to keep it simple, clean, agnostic and encourage open source design iteration, updates, and changes organically. Through bounties, challenges, and initiatives, the design can evolve into a truly community owned property.

Feedback welcome and encouraged

cc @BrianXV @Warsoverjohn1 @yalu @tbenr @krisc @Chopstick00 @Lalo

7 Likes

Looking good! I like the idea of a leaderboard. I previously looked into badgification for other projects I’ve been involved in. These could go beyond simply an image next to your username - perhaps short run stickers or embroidered patches for those who contribute in certain ways? I haven’t really seen many tech communities doing this yet and I think it’d really engage the 'gotta catch ‘em all’ mentality a lot of folks have. And the name “Status Scouts” does have a nice ring to it…

Follow up: A token standard exists for this kind of thing already.

Looking at the ambassador website, I see the form to get involved is a Google form. I know it’s just a draft, but anything Google (among others) won’t load in China, which builds friction for any potential ambassadors from there.

That’s a very good point @alexcg1! Thanks for noticing that :slight_smile:
@Jinho if we want to keep this first iteration light touch and not build our own form, we could make an email address for applications that people can email as an alternative if not able to access the form?

Good idea, can we get an email address such as [email protected]??

My idea is to detect a visitor’s browser language and if the visitor uses Chinese, the website shows an email sending popup like this (video): DEMO.mov - Google Drive

It would open the Google form for others. WDYT?

@ceri

Done! Added you and I to the group.

Lgtm!

1 Like

Deployed at http://ambassador.status.im and Steven tested the website. Chinese applicants will send an email to us based on this form: https://github.com/status-im/ambassador.status.im/blob/master/application-form.md

2 Likes

That sounds pretty reasonable - though speaking as someone who lived in China for a long time before and had my browser set to English, what about me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding. I’m pretty that’s just an edge case, and almost any foreigner in China would be using a VPN anyway, so should have no trouble with the Google form.

2 Likes