Bundle +3 messages of the same content

Idea name: Bundle +3 messages of the same content
Description: On the client detect if a public channel shows sequential messages, that contain the same content by the same sender
Use case: As a user, I want to be able to collapse messages that include the same sender and content so that my view of a public channels is not overtaken by spam
Target user: Any user of public chats
Why this is important: This offers spam regulation without venturing into blocking content. Messages could simply be marked by a counter as being 'more of the same
Any other comments: Would love to hear thoughts on the implication of having a content check on the client. It might open a door we’d rather keep closed. At the same time, we might want to look into content translations at some point as well. Also curious about what collapsing can look like in real-tie (i.e. you’re looking at the screen and +3 messages appear in sequence)

If you think this is a great idea and know how to implement it, consider posting a project proposal on Assemble.

i think this feature is useless, spamming content can be randomized…and always different.

1 Like

Brilliant suggestion! You presented this as a clever way to bundle intentional spam from one or more accounts, but it also covers many other use cases that are typically more unintentional. For example, a future third-party API or decentralized app integration may malfunction in a public channel and flood it. A user may send a message numerous times due to an unreliable network connection, and have them all eventually arrive together. A user may accidentally tap a sticker multiple times while the app is lagging, or do so by accident such as while their phone is in their pocket.

I’ve seen this feature implemented by a moderation bot on SlickDeals, and it’s a no-brainer as a value add. I suggest extending the bundling to the same content being posted twice in a row, and even by different users over a very brief time period instead of adjacent messages to make it more social and more useful for bundling. It could potentially create a simplistic voting-type functionality… such as replying with a simple string to express an opinion, and have that opinion visibly increment in real time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.