Code of Conduct - it belongs to us all

Hi all! :slight_smile:

You maybe saw last week that we migrated a refreshed version of the Code of Conduct to the new People Ops site. We wanted to make sure the Code of Conduct was easily accessible, and give everyone a chance to see it.

Though the CoC is published, it is very much a living document - one that everyone has a say in shaping and iterating.

Does the Code resonate with you, and is there anything you’d change?

Drop your thoughts here. Cheers!

1 Like

Suggestion from @gnl that Sarcasm as one of the dozen actions constituting asshole behaviour could maybe be clarified to Mean-spirited sarcasm to differentiate it from other types of sarcasm (e.g.inoffensive sarcasm used in humour) which are not harmful in and of themselves.

1 Like

My 2 cents: Agree that there is a difference between friendly, helpful, playful and respectful exchange and questions or replies that are blatantly rude, thinly veiled rudeness, demeaning, disrespectful or just outright inappropriate and hostile in nature- intended to provoke, not solve or resolve. I see examples of this daily, and no, permison-less does not give you the right to be deliberately rude or combative. Does ‘permission-less’ give someone the right to hit a child, or use racial slurs or be physically or emotionally abusive to someone else? We should all hold ourselves to a higher standard based on human decency, including those at the highest levels of this organization. Everyone has a bad day, but some core contributors need to learn their behavior is not ok. He/she who yells the loudest and longest and tantrums until they get their way should not be part of our culture. There should be no tolerance for that level of immaturity, even if they feel they have been wronged in some way (real, fabricated or imagined). Time for everyone to put their big boy pants on and grow up. Permission-less is not a blank check to be a spoiled asshole. We need a zero asshole tolerance policy.

Two tests are specified for recognition of the asshole.

1. After encountering the person, do people feel oppressed, humiliated or otherwise worse about themselves?
  2. Does the person target people who are less powerful than him/her?

So impressed with all your work on this while I was out! :heart_eyes:

A thing I’d like to add is steps to try and solve the problem yourself/assume good intentions (we’re a very diverse bunch, from different backgrounds and different levels of skill in written English) - an example, from Community working group/CoC Enforcement - Fedora Project Wiki

Attempt to resolve the issue at the lowest level first. If you are offended by someone’s behavior, review the code of conduct and try and understand their point of view. Perhaps it’s a misunderstanding or communication problem? Maybe a different understanding of the language or a difference in cultures? Perhaps it’s a poor attempt at humor? If you have offended someone by your behavior, perhaps a apology would be in order (even if you are unsure what caused the issue).

I’d also be exctited to see more people involving in mediating, something like a committee of CC’s not limited to People Ops that would be available to be pinged for issues concerning the CoC, has a set of norms to preserve confidentiality and safety of reporters, a resolution process and is given agency to take action by all CC’s.