Extensions ENS integration

stateofus.eth allows anyone to associate an address to a logical name.
On top of that, extra meta information can be stored using the text dictionary.
This capacity can be used to link extensions to a name and leveraged by status in various ways.

An extension can be installed by name

The status.extension property is associated to an ENS name. An extension can then easily be installed via its name e.g. kyber.
Once installed, the user is automatically notified of updates and can easily install them.
Older versions are still accessible and usable.

An account restoration triggers an extension activation

An extension can be associated to a regular ENS name representing a user address via status.account.extension.
Upon restoration, this extension is triggered allowing to perform restorative actions (e.g. adding contacts, groups, DApps, tokens, …)

A public channel with bells and whistles

When opening a public channel for the first time, a ENS lookup is performed on this channel name.
The associated status.channel.extension is discovered and proposed for installation.

e.g. Opening #kyber triggers a lookup on kyber.stateofus.eth. User is proposed to load associated status.channel.extension, if defined. This extension installs a chat.command in the #kyber channel and the kyber wallet.settings exchange.

Does those make sense? Any related idea?
How do we want to deal with security and privacy concerns?

3 Likes

Hey.

I agree that we cannot (and should not) prevent using a username as extension domain.
But I am not sure if reuse of “stateofus.eth” for extensions should be encouraged.

We can certainly provide a subdomain for dapps, and dapps should be able to use any ENS domain they want (even a username, or username subdomain).
If Status want to give extensions/dapps developers a registration, I suggest giving a subdomain different then the ones used for username.
For example: kyber.extend.statusnet.eth, or anything at all. The same contract used to sell domains in ENS Usernames can be deployed again to sell subdomains on extend.statusnet.eth or other domain we hold.