Extensions & Plugins for Desktop & Mobile

This post is to kick off a discussion & brainstorm on extensions & plugins.

What kind of plugins/extensions would you like to see? What kind of APIs/functionality do you think should be supported?

9 Likes

I’ll be that guy.

I need to know exactly the access extensions can possibly have, and how that is relayed to the user when installing/enabling an extension.

This needs to be laid out at the onset of creating such a feature.

4 Likes

in the case of extensions, I kinda picture this as being a list of what the extension will be able to access & do which the user has to authorize to install that extension. (for e.g “this extension can access audio messages”, “this extension can modify messages you send”, etc…)

3 Likes

Can access

• Notification service to send push notification if user chooses to share public chat key (needs a parallel plan to support multiple chat keys eventually)

Can never access

• Trusted contact list

cc @zahary as I recall you shared ideas on how to approach extensions in the past

1 Like

I would like to see an extension that both password and phrases would be applied. The same like metamask.

Extension that instead of eth address numbers and letter, can send via ENS.

1 Like

Assuming that I’ve interpreted your question correctly, and that you’re seeking community suggestions:

• Language translation (ideally using a privacy-respecting alternative to Google Translate)
  • Chat commands
    • Contract/gas/token data
      • /value SNT ETH
      • /token search BAT
    • Purchase/exchange tokens
      • /swap totle 0.01 ETH SNT
      • /fund wyre 0.1 ETH
    • Register ENS
      • /username check tidus
      • /ens register tidus.eth
    • Image search
      • /image keyboard cat
      • /animated whambulance
    • Frequently asked questions
      • /help username
      • /help wallet import
    • Masked/styled messages
      • /spoiler "Fight Club" "Tyler Durden isn't real"
      • /nsfw We had sex in an uncomfortable place: the back of a Volkswagen.

Commands would post to the chat, display private help/previews, and/or initiate a transaction confirmation as applicable. Users have the option to opt-in or opt-out of the content via the client.

3 Likes

Thanks for kicking this off @iurimatias.

Here are some ideas ive had and dug up from old docs:

1 Like

the best first extension would be walletconnect, considering that there will be no browser support at first on desktop ,yes walletconnect isn’t decentralized that’s why it should be an extension, users decide to use it or not
second one sending assets in chat via tornadocash , best fit for status because secret will be sent via waku , and we could add a timer in message UI where we could show if it safe to withdraw or not yet
third, swap tokens right in the wallet via decentralized exchanges

4 Likes

WalletConnect is in the works I think - I caught up with Pedro yesterday and I’m sure it’s happening soon :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@andrey

the best first extension would be walletconnect, considering that there will be no browser support at first on desktop ,yes walletconnect isn’t decentralized that’s why it should be an extension, users decide to use it or not

Do you mean an extension specifically for Desktop as it doesn’t have a browser yet? Or would you say the extension also needs to work on Mobile, until Wallet Connect uses Waku?

second one sending assets in chat via tornadocash , best fit for status because secret will be sent via waku , and we could add a timer in message UI where we could show if it safe to withdraw or not yet
third, swap tokens right in the wallet via decentralized exchanges
[/quote]

What benefits do you see in Tornadocash as a extension opposed to integrating mixers using zksnarks? This is arbitrary, but private transactions seem like a core functionality to me. Benefit I see is that it allows users use a trusted mixer. Any thoughts besides that?

Some ideas I gave here: Extra features for “notes for myself”, seem to fit the extension proposal. Some ideas were polls, to-do list and translating of messages.

I recently see Jami adding plugins to his messenger and the result was a background in video calls. They used an end-to-end open source AI tool called TensorFlow.

Apparently with this tool you can make other uses. So here is the report.

1 Like