Roadmap Planning

Recently I shared updates on the roadmap with both our ambassadors, and the team leads.

Not much new news. Waku is a major priority for us after v1. But otherwise, we’re committed to delivering on the chat priorities identified above over the next few months—in a sustainable way, managing for regressions. We will also adapt our roadmap on the fly to accommodate for user feedback in response to v1.

Presentation to ambassadors
Product touchbase for team leads

2 Likes

V1 is really amazing thank you so much!

2 Likes

Thanks @kcrypto.whisperer! Glad to have you be a part of it.

1 Like

This is a good reminder to share out the new Trello roadmap we recently set up. This will be the living record of our near-term and long-term plans, as far as new features go: Trello

4 Likes

Roadmap planning time!

We’ve just delivered release 1.2 with Waku mail nodes.

Our next two releases are tentatively scoped as follows:

V1.3 Release

• Group chats
  • Dark mode
  • New webview implementation
  • Bug fixes including ENS registration being blocked when app is in French, public chats with unsafe characters created via deep link, browser input not being erased in new tab, etc.

V1.4 Release

• Push notifications for Android
  • Image sending in chat
  • Keycard integration in Status client (depending on QA—possibly later)
  • Bug fixes TBD

We also have some exciting growth-oriented features implemented, and are awaiting bureaucratic blockers to resolve themselves before we can release.

Once that happens, those features will jump to the top of the queue, in terms of priority.

Beyond that, let’s discuss! I’d like to hear each team member’s viewpoint on what is important or imminently needs attention, from both a feature and maintenance perspective.

Would be great if we could hear thoughts from each person on:

• Feature ideas
  • Maintenance/fixes

I’ll post my own separately. To jog the team’s memory, these are some issues reported by you recently, which are awaiting prioritization:

You can also see the latest feature requests coming from status.im/feature-request on the appropriate column on Trello.

Features:
1: :white_check_mark: A proper Mark as read / unread counter aka #6375
2. :blue_heart: Emoji reactions followed by SNT reactions once unblocked
3. :bell: Some opt-in centralised notification service for iOS?
4. :speaking_head: Mentions
5. :framed_picture: Bring back user avatar pictures as part of ENS usernames

Maintenance/fixes:
:toolbox: Finalise ui component library and refactor views still missing components

4 Likes

Features:
1: :speaking_head: Tabs in the browser (fav dapps) most requested feature from the community
2: setting for browser data (cookies , local storage) management (clear data)

Maintenance/fixes:
:toolbox: Perf improvements (app is still laggy and slow on a top Android device)

4 Likes
  1. :lock: Back up seed phrase alerts
  2. :safety_vest: Safeproof transaction requests
  3. :people_holding_hands: Group chat join links
  4. :bookmark_tabs: Tabs in browser
  5. :beach_umbrella: Images in chat
  6. :chains: Key management (Export keys, path scanning, sign with Keycard for an account inside regular MultiAccount wallet)
  7. :nail_care: Wallet UX improvements (set max, enter fiat, remove account)
  8. :newspaper: Pinned news channel
  9. :mega: Channel promotion to populate dynamic public channel list (currently hardcoded)
  10. :fountain_pen: Account contracts > to support adding KeycardCash and set sign rules
3 Likes

Aside from all the great feature suggestions already mentioned here, I’d love to see some work on documentation and specs not captured. E.g. “What’s missing?” under Status.app and Status Dev Call 28 Agenda · Issue #50 · status-im/pm · GitHub

2 Likes

Disappearing messages: Disappearing Messages 👻 · Issue #47 · status-im/status · GitHub
Anonmyous messages: Send Anonymous Messages in public chats · Issue #45 · status-im/status · GitHub

3 Likes

Mega feature:

Status nodes StatusBOX · Issue #28 · status-im/swarms · GitHub

Goals:

• at first a private node would allow a user to reduce bandwidth consumption (from messages and wallet) to a minimum on his phone
  • for iOS it means he could also set up notifications.
  • that would mean a much lightweight version of status running on the phone, and much more independence from status infra for little cost
  • later on there is other kind of nodes that would be developed which would support public requests such a wallet history or ipfs/swarm content.
  • nodes could be paid for services/responses using the raiden network, snt transfers would be almost instant and free which would also allow for features like snt reactions and tribute to talk to exist
5 Likes

Sending messages to yourself Send messages to yourself · Issue #46 · status-im/status · GitHub

1 Like

One project that is not accounted for and actually non-negotiable:

Nimbus integration with Status

I also want to see public chats checked for last N messages, rather than last 30 days of messages, so they will never appear empty if there are messages.

And as there may be significant work for image sending left, I want to vote on that as well.

On top of Keycard android integration which is the bare minimum to consider keycard is available with status, the other following feature have been put aside for Keycard in the past and need to be done at some point (I am not listing here those already listed by Hester above)

• Keycard iOS integration
  • allow to reset a keycard
  • have a Keycard settings menu (unpair card, change PIN, change PUK)
  • help a user migrate a non-keycard account to his keycard

Also, I’d love to be able to see my NFTs in Status. I can see none of them today (I have Superare, Gods unchained, POAP & Sandbox NFTs)

3 Likes

Feature: public channels. That ones where only channel creator can write content and others joined can only read.

This feature I’d like to bring up as an idea for maybe quite far releases. But I believe it is quite important for growing userbase in a long-term. I think telegram got a good push by having that type of public channels. Many people want personal tribune for sharing their personal thoughts and opinions.

3 Likes

:point_up_2: expanding on your idea @volodymyr.kozieiev Following an @mention would be cool if the user decides to send all mentions from this @ensname public by sending it to their dedicated public channel

2 Likes

Feature: public channels. That ones where only channel creator can write content and others joined can only read.

Big +1 on this feature idea. Status is a place to disseminate information without fear of suppression. @ricardo3 has some creative ideas about how we could make channels such as this subscription based, similar to Patreon, for an SNT tie-in.

1 Like

Hey gang! Here are the results of our roadmap planning session yesterday.

A bit of context before I share:

• We are in the process of defining a new community governance model, which will allow SNT holders to influence the roadmap more directly once I am no longer with Status.
  • The next two releases, 1.3 and 1.4, are scoped.
  • The goal of this session was simply to prioritize our backlog of feature requests for 1.5+, while the governance model is being worked out.
  • As always, it’s liable to change, and in the near future, that would most likely happen as result of community vote.
  • The lens, again, is to encourage user growth.

Top voted features for v1.5+

1. Image sending in chat, 13 points
  2. Emoji + SNT reactions, 12 points
  3. Personal nodes, 10 points
  4. Finalize the UI component library + refactor views, 9 points
  5. @ mentions, 7 points
  6. Mute a chat so I don’t have so many notifications, 6 points
  7. Send messages to yourself, 5 points
  8. Mark messages as read, jump to last unread, proper counter, 5 points
  9. ENS username profile photos, 4 points
  10. Fix app’s lagginess on Android, 3 points

The full list is here.

For next steps, I’d like to assign developers to each of the top ~5 features, and begin research & spec writing in tandem with shipping release 1.4.

4 Likes

Like that https://discuss.status.im/t/read-only-public-channels/1468 ?

1 Like

yes, exactly like that! :slight_smile: