Status Chat API proof of concept demo

There has been discussion about the Status chat api in recent months and what kind of DApps it enables but sometimes a simple demo can better explain it.

This video is a demo of a gasless polling DApp that uses a fork of the status mobile client to expose the chat api.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmdoWn1weaZ5QnhwipjMPHFb6zdziVUn44JmUK9kfMWq2T

8 Likes

This is extremely relevant right now, I have a few teams I’ve been helping/advising that would likely join up with status right away to utilize this tool, would likely also offer dev time/resources as well if needed.

With all of the governance experiments going on right now, $YAMS,$YFI, $COMP and all of its derivates im confident we can create a solid wave of users, that would likely be ULTRA sticky. Time is of the essence, as the solutions to this are being sought out NOW. And who ever emerges first as an appropriate solution will be stuck as the primary provider of this service.

If we were to be able to use this near term, I’m confident I have a team that would like to be the “poster child” for this utility. Let’s get things rolling on this! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help, or any addition info I can provide. This is the first status feature that I’ve seen that I feel could drive the ETH community in quickly, and is unavailable in any other products at the moment. This could give status monopoly power over governance protocols [go to DAPP]… and as Joel monegro said… “the governance is where all the value will accrue”… Where they go, others will follow. These are the most active etherians… and we want them reccommending status.im.

1 Like

awesome work @barry!

As mentioned, i think the best path forward is to share this demo across some channels as well as directly with prospective projects/partners that would bee interested in using it. This will give us some real feedback from teams who currently use on chain voting.

@daoking - i can use your help coming up with a shortlist of projects to share this with for feedback/input

1 Like

How could we go about preventing users from creating a mass amount of accounts to sway the poll? Any thoughts on that? Or are the votes based on how many tokens are held in their wallet?

1 Like

I didn’t mention it in the demo, but when it tabulates votes it checks the amount of SNT each voter has and casts the number of SNT as number of ballots. In the case of the demo both voters had 100 SNT. The same rules that can be used for onchain voting can be used in the case, in fact we can implement more complex rules that are not limited by the onchain rules such as long delegation chains in liquid democracy.

1 Like