Status DAO Developer & Community Inclusion

Status is not only creating a decentralized infrastructure that will one day create a new connection to the way we transact, trust and communicate; But also creating a truly decentralized autonomous organization with inclusion from not only our core team and community as stakeholders that will guide the project, but also the new-coming contributors to the codebase.

Recently it was brought to my attention that one of our cherished community contributors had dropped off the radar and I want to address that in a meaningful way, because I care so much about all of our community.

It doesn’t matter if your contribution was a line of code or a friendly gesture to another member it really does count in growing what we are doing and blurring the lines between ‘core team’ and ‘community’ is something I want to help us strive for. A strong community loves its contributors for not only the passion they have and the people they are but also the skillsets they are growing along the way and opening doors to new places to grow this ecosystem.

Today along with the help of my brilliant friend and colleague pedro i’m implementing a developer feedback mechanism for anytime that contributors make a pull-request in one of our repositories. At Status, taking actionable steps to continue making our organization a truly decentralized one is a responsibility I take very seriously, and I think this is a very important part of that process. I hope for this to address some key points.

• Making sure new contributors to our codebase have a place for their important voice to be heard and steps to be taken

• Keeping contributions easy and removing blockers to allow ‘beyond the bounty’ so-to-speak

• Pushing into the foray of making Status as a DAO a reality

Hearing the voices that otherwise would go unspoken is unquestionably one of the most important parts of community. Connecting our community to help understand what we are building and that beyond bounties there is great opportunity found in taking the next steps.

Status-pro-bot already helps workflow a great deal, this will now ping contributors that take the deep dive into the rabbit hole that status is. Will help in getting some actionable insights of how we can help open your creativity and build status into the organization we want it to become. Community owned, driven and built.

On top of asking for insights, I will be working with Stef and our people operations on a possible commit buddy system for those that are interested to help out our newcomers to the codebase. Will gather interest from this survey sent out and follow up here about the next steps with that. It’s a simple way to guarantee that anyone that touches our codebase knows they can go as far as they’d like.

There are no confines to a DAO.

This is the current survey as it stands - Status 1st commit dev survey please feel free to fill it out if you happen to be a contributor that has some feedback you want to share. Many of these ideas / suggestions could be turned into bounties to help our contributors fulfill their own roadblocks with others.

Results from these surveys will be shared publicly in this thread for those that opt-in. Please feel free to share any ideas related to this, creating a more open-community on the developer front and social front is at the forefront of my mind each day.

1 Like

Author: Pacamara

How was your experience coming into contributing into the status’ codebase – was there anything that needed to be made more clear?

Overall, excellent! Main learning curve was picking bounties that are atomic. First bounty I ever picked was a big goeth one with masses of dependencies and coordination required, including with upstream maintainers. In retrospect wouldn’t go for that now. But learnt loads from it and got half the bounty so that’s cool!

Now I go for more atomic ones mostly on status-react.

Bit of an issue with people seeing a tasty bounty, leaving a comment saying “I’m on it!” (I personally avoid doing this), then quietly abandoning it. Completely understand not wanting to invest effort then get beaten to the punch. But sometimes feels like ppl are “bagsying” bounties before investing work. Perhaps a rule that if a contributor posts such a “reservation” comment up front, should then always keep issue page updated on progress?

Is there anything else you’d mention that could help first time contributors to make them feel more welcomed?

• Read access to jenkins build logs would be definite help!
  • Per above, some way of indicating on a bounty what the scope/dependencies/required coordination are could help newbies.

Author: Ageneau

Code
The build instructions are clear. I struggled a bit with npm hanging issues tough: I saw somewhere that I should downgrade npm to the 5.5 version in case I had trouble but It didn’t work (I think probably because I did it by doing "npm install -g [email protected] instead of changing both the node version and the npm version). I ended up using the version that was used in the Dockerfile which seems to be the only 1 working on linux (node: v8.9.1 npm: 5.5.1). The code base generally seems clear enough although I don’t have much experience with it and there are things that I didn’t understand like the syntax for registering re-frame subscription (eg: “:<- [:chat-ui-props] :<- [:get-current-chat-id”). Very possibly outdated re-frame/reagent knowledge on my part.
It’s a bit unsettling when you’re used to client/server apps to understand what’s happening network wise. Maybe some high level diagrams/overview of how the app works would be useful for newcomers.
Overall the whole pull request/autobuild/QA/merging process felt very professional and not too intimidating.

Bounty system
I think the main issue I have with it is that it’s not clear if someone is already/still working on an issue. You sometimes see month old comments like in Navigate back by swiping from the left side of the screen (left-edge swipe) (iOS) · Issue #3804 · status-im/status-mobile · GitHub Is okilimnik working on this ? What happens if you start working on an issue like that and someone else claims it before you’re done ?
I don’t have an issue with the bounties being payed in SNT tokens but as someone not very much involved in cryptoccurrencies it’s not immediately obvious if these can be exchanged for USD/EUR on a trustworthy exchange and I think it should be made clear (maybe with a recomendation of how to proceed (what exchange do the status devs use themselves ?).
I’m glad I happened to read in Riot the experience of another first time contributor who filled his openbounty profile ethereum address with a Coinbase address that can’t access Tokens otherwise I might have made the same mistake.

Weekly dev meeting
Sure it can certainly be useful.